|

Friday, October 22, 2004

Response

Here I am again in Union County. Posting again. I was very surprised to see what everyone had to say about the last posting. I didn't think so many would have so much to say. I too have a few comments. Since this is my life's work - I am quite opinionated about this. In one comment Jeff Cannell said that he thinks I'm more like a kindergartener and like sharing. Just for the record - I'm really selfish. I DON'T like to share so much. I like my stuff, I like my money to buy my stuff and I want to keep my stuff as mine. God challenges me on this frequently. This is my reason and belief of why some system of assistance needs to exist for those in need: We ALL have done things in our lives in which we didn't get what we deserved (if your really honest with yourself). I think the belief behind the American dream is - you'll get what you deserve. If you are a "lazy alcoholic" and don't work hard - then you'll get nothing out of life - and that's what you deserve. If you are a hard worker and "moral" person - then you'll probably do well in life (some better than others) and that is what you deserve. THANK GOD - that God is not that way. If I would have gotten what I deserve in life - by now I would probably be a single mother, alcoholic, working at McDonald's and probably receiving food stamps and some sort of public medical assistance. Instead God showed his Grace and Mercy on my life and I didn't have some things happen to me - that I truly deserved. Trust me - my life has turned out pretty good - and a lot of that didn't have to do anything with me. People that believe that someone is stuck in their situations because there is something of fault in that person - like they didn't work hard enough and therefore have gotten what they deserve. I believe in assistance for those that need it because I rely more on grace and mercy instead of receiving what we have deserved. I don't believe in the deserving or undeserving poor. And certainly - I believe it is the church's responsibility to do this kind of work. The "sharing", the "mercy ministry", the "welfare" of this world and country. But in all reality - the churches haven't, won't or can't - so we need to have something in place - when and where the churches aren't willing or able to do something.

Thanks for your input! I'll change the subject next time!!!

Love,
Kara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home